Monday, October 27, 2008

Determination and Defiance

Several days ago I held in my hand a copy of National Geographic. It was the issue celebrating their hundred best photographs. Being a bit of a photography hound myself, I began to consider each page. If there is one thing this magazine is known for it certainly would be its vast collection of travelogue-esque pictures. The heartbreaking shots of the children dying from malnutrition in Third World countries, the breath taking picture of the veiled girl with the electric eyes that graced the cover, and the amazing beauty of humanity as a whole as captured by the lens of a single person's SLR. I really think that part of my love affair with photography has to do with the ability to capture the beauty of humanity on film (or digital chip, as it were). The celebration of life, even in moments of sorrow. The ability to cross language, cultural, and religious barriers and draw empathy from the viewer--that sense of connection.

Awe-inspired by the work at my fingertips, I flipped through the pages slowly. That was when I found her. The photograph is smaller than others, almost a side-note to the magazine's endeavors. It is black and white and shows what looks to be a courtroom scene. Against the wall stand (and sit) soldiers, all carrying the obligatory arms. In the fore, surrounded by a waist high cage made of metal bars, stands a woman. She can't be older than 25, and she's wearing a lovely skirt with polka dots on it. The most striking feature of the entire photograph, however, is the look on this woman's face. It is determination. It is defiance.

It is the look that says, "You've taken all of my freedom already. Going to jail will be a respite."

It is the look that says, "I'm not sorry. I'm not backing down. And I'm not going to show you I'm afraid."

It is pride; it is a subtle anger.

It is clearly expressed.

The caption to the photo states that the woman was on trial for "terrorist activity" in a nation that had marginalized her people. I forget the details, but they're unimportant. This woman could be any woman in any country. Any woman, that is, willing to show by her look of righteous anger that she was fighting for a cause outside of herself. The caption merely confirmed what her face had already told you.

If I had one wish for the world it would be that everyone would have the opportunity to wear that look. I don't wish everyone to be forced to stand trial for their beliefs, but if it happens I would want us all to be able to do so unapologetically. Was it not the Founding Fathers of the United States who stated that those who stand for nothing will fall for anything? As a culture we need to know what we stand for. As individuals we need to be willing to do so.

No comments: